NOTE: I am now selling my Breaking Bad afghan at my etsy shop. Go check it out and get yours today!
Ahh, sometimes you spend weeks making a blanket. And then sometimes your dog chews a hole or two in it within the first few weeks. And then sometimes you just leave it because you’re so disheartened that all of the work you just put into went down the drain in such a short time.
Ahh, yes, this is exactly what happened to my Breaking Bad blanket. Since it was finished, James sort of took it over as his own and within a few weeks of its life, it had these two holes in it. I’d never repaired a blanket before, so I just left it. It didn’t seem to be unraveling and since he was the main one using it, I didn’t feel like putting more effort into it at the time.
Well, cue several months later: the holes are still there and the blanket is stinky. I mean, imagine a stinky hound dog lying on this daily for the last months. It needed a wash. But first I thought it would need to be repaired so it didn’t unravel in the washing machine. So I finally sucked it up and decided to repair it.
As you can see above, the two holes were in close proximity. Also, once I looked at it closely, I realized it would be super simple to fix. It just needed some yarn to be strung from one end, through the tops of the double crochets of the next row, then through the tops of the double crochets of the previous row, and that would be it!
With a yarn needle and the correct color yarn, I inserted the needle into a hidden spot but didn’t pull through all the way. I then inserted the needle into the same spot and pulled tight to attach the yarn to the blanket. (This is also what you would be when attaching a button, if that helps you visualize it!) I then simply inserted the yarn needle through the tops of the double crochets in that row (see above image).
Next, I inserted the yarn needle through the tops of the three double crochets of the next row. (see above image)
Finally, I inserted the needle through the tops of the three double crochets of the previous row, and VOILA! That repaired one hole. So simple! Since the holes were close to each other, I used the yarn needle to weave through the stitches to the next hole and repaired that the same way.
To finish, I weaved in the loose ends to secure it (at the end and at the beginning).
It is once again a fully function blanket with no holes. :) Now if I could only keep it that way!
Chrissie Neely Photography | Ravelry | AllRecipes | A Beautiful Mess | According to Matt... | DreamGreenDIY | Our Fifth House | The Ugly Duckling House | View Along the Way | Young House Love